Monday, May 23, 2011
Me and Big Sur
I have asked Bob to also do a blog about Big Sur as I know we both loved many of the same things about this magical place but thought it would be nice to see both perspectives. I'll start with our accommodations at Deetjen's Big Sur Inn. This place was recommended to me by my brother and will be the only stopping place I will recommend to anyone who asks "Where should I stay in Big Sur?" You can only make reservations over the phone as they want to be able to ask you questions about what type of cabin, bed size, bathroom facilities you would prefer. In the early 30's a Norwegian immigrant, Helmuth Deetjen, came with his wife to Big Sur. They bought 120 acres of land in Castro Canyon and began building their homestead. The Deetjen's were always welcoming overnight guests and so the Big Sur Inn was created. Over the years they built Norwegian-style rooms and gave each of them a name. Deetjen did all the work himself and used locally milled, scavenged redwood. When he died he left the Inn "to be forever enjoyed by transient guests wanting to experience the peace, friendship and beauty that can be found at the Inn." It is a National Historic Site and operated by Deetjen's Big Sur Preservation Foundation. All that being said, when we arrived I was instantly in awe of the little cottages tucked away in the forest. Our cabin, Stokes, was at the far end of a very narrow road and had its own small deck and bench overlooking a small waterfall. The inside was cabin-cozy with simple furnishings and two rockers in front of a small wood burning stove. Even with all the simplicity the accommodations were shabby-chic with a wrought iron chandelier, floral comforter and antique dressers.With the windows open we could hear the sound of the waterfall all day and night. Home for the next 3 days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like my kind of place!
ReplyDelete