I'm finding travel weird at times. When you visit an area that you think is the most magical place on Earth, you feel like you will never see or do anything quite like that again. Big Sur was that kind of experience. From our cozy cabin in the woods to hiking to see the only place in California where a waterfall plunges directly into the Pacific or hiking among ancient redwoods, it was something I find hard to describe. Big Sur is one of the most memorable sections of coastline, with 5,000-foot-tall mountains rising up out of the Pacific Ocean. Early Spanish missionaries called it El Pais Grande del Sur (the Big Country of the South) and this rugged land has resisted development. The population of 1,500 is roughly the same as it was in 1900.
That being said, we left Big Sur and headed north once again to the next destination I was really looking forward to...San Francisco and my brother. He was coming down from Oregon for a medical conference in San Francisco (all planned and timed this way on purpose) and was meeting us a few days before his conference commenced to show us the city. I have not seen him in over 2 years and was really looking forward to spending some time together. He has made many trips to San Francisco for both business and pleasure and loves this city. I was looking forward to having someone show us the ins and outs that you might not find in a book. Bob and I were also looking forward to exploring on our own as we enjoy walking neighborhoods and learning how to get around using the city's public transit system. Will let you know how all that goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment